Assignment Desk Manager
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
To provide direction and coordination for our editorial coverage of events both locally and nationally; to supervise the logistical planning of events including local crew scheduling, hiring of remote crews, trucks, studios and booking of feeds; to oversee the quality control of our crew hire process and to oversee all aspects of day-to-day desk operations.
- Directs and encourages Assignment Editors in finding and selecting relevant events for coverage.
- Demonstrates ability to make quick, sound decisions regarding editorial coverage of daily events.
- Oversees coordination of logistical planning for local coverage including field crew scheduling and daily crew communication.
- Oversees logistical planning for remote event coverage including studio booking, satellite requests, fiber booking and crew hires.
- Works closely with Vice President of Programming and Managing Editor in determining editorial focus.
- Supervises the training and support of staff; including fostering solid understanding of staff on technical and logistical needs for local and remote coverage.
- Works with other departmental managers to communicate coverage decisions.
- Liaisons with other Programming Managers regarding International, National, History, Politics and Books events.
- Responsible for maintaining effective and efficient communications regarding all incoming video feeds.
- Serves as a member of the senior programming staff responsible for assisting the department in setting overall goals.
- Manages the work schedule of Assignment Desk personnel.
- Demonstrates commitment to C-SPANís mission in coverage decisions including long-form content and balanced presentation of views.
- Keeps abreast of upcoming public affairs events by monitoring all media platforms including social media sources.
- Strong knowledge of public policy and current events.
- Minimum six years of related experience, including at least one year management experience.
- Proven editorial decision-making skills.
- Technical knowledge of TV production and electronic news gathering.
- Ability to communicate effectively both inside and outside the organization.
- College degree in Journalism, Communications, Political Science or related field preferred.
- Understanding of C-SPANís programming mission and philosophy.
- Ability to work flexible hours and adapt to changing priorities.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.